- Personal Essay: Compose an essay sharing your life story, the origins of your interest in filmmaking, and what inspired you to apply to Interlochen.
- List of Experiences: Gather together a listing of direct or indirect life experiences related to film. Examples to highlight might include background in other disciplines or arts areas, sports team participation, clubs/organizations, hobbies, summer enrichment programs, and other extracurricular activities. Please include details of your participation in each experience in the style of a resume.
- Creative Samples: Submit one to three samples from the following categories:
- A screenplay or stage play excerpt of up to 10 pages
- A sample film of up to 10 minutes
- Up to 10 photographs
- Up to 10 visual arts works (drawings, paintings, sculpture, digital imaging)
- 2 pieces of short fiction, critical/expository writing, or nonfiction narrative up to 10 pages
4. Inventory Sheet: Create a document that includes the details of your role, title, location, date, mediums, size etc. all all creative samples in your portfolio (#3).
As a complement to the portfolio presentation, the Director of Motion Picture Arts may request to schedule a meeting to discuss your creative pieces and overall candidacy to the program.
How to Submit your Materials:
Applicants are required to submit their portfolios digitally as a part of the application process. After you start the application for admission, create an account on DecisionDesk and upload your work under your Interlochen Application ID number as a "Motion Picture Arts Major".
We highly encourage all applicants to plan a campus visit! The schedule may include a meeting with our Director of Motion Picture Arts, a full tour of campus including the DeRoy Center for Film Studies and attached residence hall, an opportunity to meet and interact with current students, and a chance to observe classes in session. Plan your campus visit >>