Live auditions on campus are encouraged, and can be scheduled by calling the Office of Admission and Financial Aid at 800.681.5912. Recorded auditions can be submitted online at our DecisionDesk website, after you have completed the Academy application. Audition requirements by instrumentation are:
Piano and Organ
One major scale, one minor scale, one study or etude, and two memorized representative solo works of contrasting style
Demonstration of skills on any or all of the following instruments:
- Snare drum - open roll, closed roll, solo including rolls, double and triple rhythms
- Mallet instruments and/or piano – exercises, solos or excerpts from band or orchestral literature
- Timpani – exercises, solos or excerpts from band or orchestral literature
Winds and Strings
One major scale, one minor scale, one study or etude, and one solo work
One study or etude and two solo works of contrasting style
Two solo works of contrasting style (must be submitted via video)
- Applicants must upload performances of 2 pieces from the solo classical vocal literature.
- Repertoire must be presented from memory, and in full.
- Submissions must not have been sound edited, and cannot include any added reverb. An unedited, dry acoustic is best.
- The visual for the video upload should include the full body of the singer, face-on.
A minimum of three scores; a recording of works on CD is strongly encouraged, but not required. A MIDI realization is acceptable. PLEASE READ: special instructions for composition applicants.
A performance of three to five of a student’s original songs. Students will also need to share a copy of the song lyrics; for online auditions lyrics can be uploaded as a document.