Interlochen Arts Academy boarding high school offers student composers a program of pre-professional music training and college preparatory academics. Music composition students graduate well-prepared for the rigors of study at the university and conservatory level. The individualized program encourages students to cultivate their own unique and creative expression, while becoming familiar with important trends in 20th and 21st century music.
Composers have the opportunity to present their works 4-5 times during the school year in Composers' Forums. Much emphasis in the composition program is also given to knowledge of proper notation, professional preparation of scores and parts for rehearsals and performances, and the assembling of a diverse portfolio for college auditions.
The music composition major requirements include:
- Composition lesson (see below)
- Composition seminar (see below)
- Enrollment in a theory course each year (Theory and Musicianship, Advanced Theory, Independent Study)
- Piano proficiency (if lacking sufficient keyboard skills, students are required to take lessons or a piano class)
- Presentation of works at composers forums (at least two each year)
- It is recommended that students reserve a large block of time (three hours or more) several times each week for individual composition.
- Piano or instrument lessons (by audition) or class piano
- Appropriate ensembles
- Academic requirements