For young artists, nothing is better than living and learning alongside others who share a passion for the creative. You’ll have countless opportunities to perform and share your work with others. In turn, you will enjoy and learn from the work of your peers, who are some of the most dedicated young artists in the world. With support and encouragement from friends, faculty, and well-known guest artists, you will find time for self-discovery and growth. You’ll find a place where you can be yourself.
The campus is a safe, residential setting where you will learn independence and self-reliance sooner than your peers attending other schools, which is a real advantage when preparing for college.
Despite your busy schedule, you will still find time to have fun and develop friendships that last a lifetime. Deep conversations over dinner in Stone Cafeteria, impromptu jam sessions, weekly "coffeehouse" performances, walks through the woods, enjoying a guest artist performance, and organized off-campus trips—these are some of the ways you can relax and enjoy the company of your friends and fellow artists.
You’ll also enjoy a variety of beloved annual traditions, including:
- House Clash - A series of house-versus-house competitions that will help you bond with your new neighbors. The winner gets an all-house pizza party!
- Class Trips - Each school year begins with a class trip, an opportunity for you to meet other students in your class while exploring locations across northern Michigan.
- Holiday Dinner - This formal dining experience brings the campus together to celebrate the culmination of the first semester prior to leaving for holiday break.
- Super Bowl Party - Whether you come for the football game, the commercials, or the half-time show, this party comes complete with snacks and a chance to win Interlochen swag.
- Oscar Watch Party - Test your film knowledge, cheer on your favorite actors and films, and see how many Oscar winners you can pick!
- Run for the Arts 5K - Hit the pavement or volunteer behind the scenes at our annual 5K race. Participants run a scenic, art-lined course and all proceeds benefit our scholarship fund.
- Street Beat - An annual carnival marking the end of the academic year with games, activities, snacks, music, and more
- Festival - A three-day celebration of art featuring nearly nonstop performances by students of all grades and majors.
- MORP - Interlochen Arts Academy’s answer to prom includes formal attire, brunch, dancing, and a fun-filled after-party at a local bowling alley.
Clubs and organizations
Clubs and organizations allow you to connect with students outside your major who share your interests and hobbies. Don’t see a club that fits your interests? Start your own!
Some of our current clubs include:
- Black Student Union
- Dungeons and Dragons Club
- Interlochen Podcast Cooperative
- Jewish Student Union
- Junior State of America
- Mariachi Interlochen
- Student Book Club
- Student Representative Board
- Traditional Chinese Art Club
- Young Feminist Club