- Portfolio: Your portfolio should include no less than six and no more than ten pieces of original work written or revised during the last year.
- The pieces must represent at least two of the following genres: literary fiction, sci-fi/fantasy, poetry, spoken word, personal essay/memoir, screenwriting, playwriting, and hybrid genre.
- If you are submitting fiction, nonfiction, screenwriting, or playwriting, please do not submit more than 5,000 words per piece.
- Spoken word pieces can be audio or video recorded and uploaded along with your written work.
- Artistic Interview: As a complement to the portfolio presentation, we will schedule a phone, video, or in-person meeting with the Director of Creative Writing to discuss your creative pieces and overall candidacy to the program.
The writing portfolio should reflect your interest and ability and should include examples of your best work. Portfolio pieces should be presented typed, standard format and font, double-spaced for prose, single-spaced for poetry. If you are unable to present all of the suggested materials, please submit materials that best display your present level and potential, including work that is still in progress. We will let you know if we need to see more. Please feel free to contact the Director of Creative Writing with questions about preparing your writing portfolio. We look forward to reading your writing!
How to Submit Your Materials:
Applicants are required to submit their artistic resume and portfolio digitally as a part of the application process.
We highly encourage all applicants to plan a campus visit! The schedule may include an artistic meeting or interview with our Director of Creative Writing, a full tour of campus including The Writing House and residence halls, an opportunity to meet and interact with current students, and a chance to observe classes in session. Plan your campus visit.